Dr Jason Paul Mika

Tūhoe, Ngāti Awa, Whakatōhea, Ngāti Kahungunu

Indigenous entrepreneurship researcher
Senior lecturer, School of Management

Jason Mika

Professor Taiarahia Black once said “te ataahua o te mātauranga”, the beauty of the knowledge that helps people understand and practice economic development is the main achievement.

It is a privilege to collaborate with researchers and entrepreneurs – Māori and non-Māori – from diverse sectors, industries and communities through Te Au Rangahau. I feel particularly honoured to be involved in projects involving Māori marine economy, Māori agroeconomy and Māori entrepreneurial ecosystems.

I hope that Māori and non-Māori involved in economic development, entrepreneurship and innovation find our work insightful, useful and helpful in engaging themselves, their families, and their communities in fulfilling and beneficial activity.

There is much potential for collaboration between Māori and non-Māori, where the Māori voice, contribution and capability is valued, respected and leads research, policy and practice.

My family and work are my passions, my hobbies and my interests, and getting the balance right is the ongoing conundrum. I used to play sax at school, squash with my mate Marino at the rec centre, and get smashed at lunchtime bullrush at school but, these days, I am happy if I can keep up in a sprint with my kids up the street!

Fulbright-Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga Scholar

Director, Small Enterprise Association of Australia and New Zealand (SEAANZ)

Co-convenor, Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM) – Indigenous Issues Special Interest Group

Member, Academy of Management – Native, Aboriginal and Indigenous Caucus

View Jason’s ResearchGate profile